Friday, April 17, 2009

Patrick Hoelck talks about Vincent

A small mention of Mr Gallo in an interview by Patrick Hoelck, photographer/director:

WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME AN ARTIST?
I moved to NYC when I was young and started running with the downtown art scene. They would talk shit about entertainers and how unimaginative they were, coming from LA this was news to me. My friend, Vincent Gallo, would invite me to these dinners and gatherings to and sit listen in awe. I was a young fly on the wall collecting mental notes. I used to get laid a lot by borrowing their stories and metaphors and points of view.
WHO ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTS?

The ones from those days Jean Michel Basquiat, Vincent Gallo, Francesco Clemente, Richard Serra. Of those I didn’t meet Jackson Pollock, Diego Velasquez, Ed Ruscha, the list could go for miles. I don’t know all of the names of artists nowadays, I just like movement. Damien Loeb is amazing, David Shadi Perez, Jose Parla and Richard Prince all have really interesting work I have seen recently.

If you want to read the whole interview, you can find it here: http://features.guerillaone.com/?p=163

6 comments:

  1. fucking pasty interview

    I never heard of any of these people ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basquiat, Clemente, Pollock ring a huge bell for me. The others? Nope. I never heard of Partick Hoelck either, before I stumbled across this interview. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gross, that guy sounds lame

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of a sudden some untalented dick from LA decided to mention Vincent Gallo's name on a interview. How convenient since Gallo has 3/4 new projects coming up soon ..

    Oh yeah.Basquiat ! Basquiat ! that kid who overdosed on heroin at the age of 28. his work is pretty fucking spectacular and he is kind of famous now, init?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What 3/4 projects?!?! I can only think of two, Tetro and whatever movie they mentioned he is working on that will be out in 2010? That one seemed to come out of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1-Tetro
    2-Promises Written in Water...(ahaha another wish-wash masterpeice!!!)
    3-Metropia
    4-RRIICCE

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated from now on - that means, it might take a bit until they appear on the site. Please bare with that - there has been just to much spam recently.